Monday, December 20, 2010

Fall-back Favourites: Fried Cauliflower Rice

When I'm pressed for time, I have a range of meals that I make without having to think about the details. Chop chop and in the pot - curries, stir-fries, etc. So in my new series of Fall-back Favourites, I will note the details of some of these recipes where measurements are open to interpretation, and effort is minimised. Check out the first two recipes in this series - Roast Leg of Lamb  & Stuffed Capsicum (Peppers)

I was grilling some salmon a few nights ago, and was out of cabbage, so could not make my usually fatty side dish of sautéed veggies. I improvised with the foods I had in the fridge, and  came up with a really tasty way of making fried cauliflower rice, the perfect accompaniment to seafood dishes or spiced meat mains that could do well paired with absorbent sides.

Ingredients:

Cauliflower, riced in a food processor (one head feeds at least four people)
Other vegetables - I used spring onion, capsicum, carrot, and broccolini
Fats for frying - I used bacon grease and coconut oil
Eggs - one or two per person
Optional - during step 2, add herbs such as coriander, and/or add a splash or two of sesame oil or soy sauce.

Method:

1. Heat fat in a large frying pan.

2. Add veggies, and sauté gently.

3. When veggies are done, remove from pan, and set aside. Keep warm.

4. Add eggs to the pan and scramble until cooked well.

Serve fried cauliflower rice topped with egg.

If you want the rice to be the main meal, rather than a side, try adding crispy bacon or diced chicken.

Here's the beau's meal, with the rice and eggs serving as a base for a delicious salmon fillet.

3 comments:

Erin said...

Jez

I read an old post today where you mentioned grain free sausages. Where did you find these? (I'm also Australian)
Many thanks

Jezwyn said...

Hi Erin,

I have found flourless sausages at the amazing Jonathan's on Smith St, Collingwood, and I can also get plain meat snags from a bio-dynamic butcher in Balwyn North. I bet your butcher could make some for you if you're not in Melbourne and can't access these places.

Anonymous said...

What an inventive recipe! Thanks

Cara
primroseandpaleo.wordpress.com