Monday, March 8, 2010

Recipe: Kanga & Bacon Frittata

Who says that eating meat & eggs has to be boring?

For those who have no problem with vegetables, an endive and romaine salad with plenty of tomato would suit this frittata perfectly.


Ingredients:

400g kangaroo mince (extra lean beef would work as well, or use standard ground beef and use less additional fat)

100g middle bacon strips, chopped roughly

50g fat - I used coconut oil since I have lots on hand, but lard or bacon fat would be perfect!

4 pastured eggs

Optional - 1/2 onion, chopped fresh herbs, chili powder & other spices.


Method:

Preheat oven to a moderate temperature.

Heat fat in large oven-safe frying pan. When oil is hot, add minced meat and chopped bacon, and sauté until cooked through. Remove from heat.


In a medium bowl, whip eggs until combined.

Pour eggs into frying pan, and stir gently so that all meat is covered in egg mixture.

Place frying pan in oven, and bake until frittata is thoroughly set (approx. 20 - 30 minutes).

I didn't have a clean oven-safe pan, so I used a pan with a wooden handle, then transferred the meat into a baking dish lined with baking paper, before adding the egg and baking:


Serve while hot, or chill overnight and reheat/serve at room temperature the next day - this allows the flavours to develop.

Making frittata really is the quick and easy way to make a large amount of cooked food that's effortlessly suitable for leftovers the next day. As well as making this for myself, I made my roo-phobic beau a frittata of beef sausage, bacon, and cheddar cheese:

3 comments:

Barbara said...

I'm curious about the flavor of kangaroo meat. I wonder where I might find that here in Texas...

It's looks VERY tasty!

Jezwyn said...

The beau claims roo meat tastes a bit like lamb marinated in red wine... For me, it's like an iron-rich beef with hints of eucalyptus, salt bush, or other native plants, depending on where the animal grazed. It's especially strong-tasting when raw, but when it's cooked the flavour diffuses. In the frittata, it's quite subtle.

If you could find it in Texas, and it's not imported from Australia, I'd be afraid since I bet the roos wouldn't be feeding on their natural diet, let alone running wild in the bush! That's the main reason I eat roo - it's the most sustainable meat in Australia, since the roos are well-suited to the environment, and cause less damage to the top soil than hoofed animals.

Hasja said...

Nice blog, thanks!
You writing about checking fishfarms reminded me of a video I saw a couple of day's ago. I thought it was great so I like to share it with you http://www.ted.com/talks/lang/eng/dan_barber_how_i_fell_in_love_with_a_fish.html.