Friday, September 3, 2010

Recipe: Pizza Cake (it's a piece of cake to make!)

I was going to make a cauliflower pizza, but I'm not doing dairy and I suddenly could not be bothered cooking the crust and then loading up toppings... Too complicated for my tired frame of mind! Solution? I've created something existing in the gray area between a cauliflower pizza and a frittata - it's a Pizza Cake!


Ingredients:

1/2 head cauliflower, riced
4 eggs
2 cups pizza toppings: ham or bacon, capsicum, tomato, basil, onion, pepperoni, salt & peppers, etc.

Method:

1. Preheat oven to moderate-high. Line and lightly grease a baking tray or pan - preferably one with a lip.

2. If you can be bothered (it's worth it), lightly fry all suitable pizza toppings in a small amount of bacon grease or coconut oil to develop the flavours.

3. In a large mixing bowl, combine cauliflower, eggs, and pizza toppings.

4. Pour mixture into prepared pan, and spread into desired shape. The thickness of mine was about 3cm.

5. Bake in oven until edges have browned and cake is cooked through. My oven took about half an hour to completely cook it through. Spongy goodness!


Serve with whatever you like - it can be the veggie portion of a meat meal, or the meat with a salad. One quarter of a cake is a good serving size if it's part of a meal, but the beau and I easily demolished half each without anything else to eat. I look forward to experimenting with other variations: curried chicken pizza cake, ground beef and tomato pizza cake... Yum!

11 comments:

Kikilula said...

Yummie! Good idea. I'll try this next time I find a decent fresh coliflower.

Anonymous said...

ive done a similar thing to this but i did

cauli
garlic
eggs
onions

it was like spongy garlic bread! i spread butter on top when it came out! this looks good, your cicken idea with it YUM!!!

Anonymous said...

Why did you cut out dairy??

Tawnee Prazak, M.S., CSCS said...

Looks delicious! I'm going to try it.

Methuselah said...

Good stuff. I like the way you combine ingredients.

Anonymous said...

So, what temperature do you consider moderately-high for your oven?

Anonymous said...

This looks super! You are so creative. Thanks very much for the new recipe.

A moderately hot oven is 400 degrees.

This list might come in handy.

http://hypertextbook.com/facts/2005/JenniferZhong.shtml

Any basic cookbook will have such a list.

Ed said...

Looks great, it is in the oven as we speak :)

Liz said...

This was great! It's my new favorite breakfast... or dinner... or whatever. I added italian sausage, fresh basil, red pepper and tomato on top. I cut it into four "pieces" and each makes a meal for me. Thanks for your blog!

dr rona said...

looks yummy
definitely going to make a version
mmm
thanks!

fable said...

I've also made something very similar to this, just swapping out the cauliflower with grated, stemed squash. Dee-licious!