Monday, June 21, 2010

Recipe: Frittata (Crustless Quiche)

I make these constantly, in muffin form for picnics, and in pie size for dinners. And yet my usual technique is oddly missing from my blog! There's my Quiche, with its almond flour crust, and my really meaty Kanga & Bacon Frittata, but my diced-stuff-with-egg-poured-on-it-baked-in-oven has yet to feature! Until now...


Frittata

Ingredients:

The fillings:

Diced meat - I like bacon or ham, but cooked chicken would work
Diced veggies - capsicum, zucchini or squash, sweet potato, carrot, tomato... Anything that's like to hold its shape somewhat is a good candidate!
Diced cheese (if you're into that kind of thing) - feta is my tried-and-true favourite.

The rest:

Eggs (1.5 to 2 per person, around 6 for the average pie dish)
Cream (1 to 2T per person)
Herbs (chopped basil and thyme are my favourites)

Method:

1. Preheat oven to 175 degrees Celsius. Grease pie dish or muffin tray with coconut oil or butter.

2. Dice and toss all desired fillings in a large bowl. Place fillings into the chosen baking apparatus, but don't pack them down.


3. In a medium bowl, beat eggs, cream and herbs until combined and a little frothy. Pour egg mixture over the fillings, but don't fill container completely - around 3/4 filled is perfect.


4. Place into the oven, and bake gently until centre has solidified. You may need to lower the temperature if the top is browning too fast.

Serve hot, warm or cold, and it's fantastic a day or two later as well. Mmmm!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You just gave me a good idea for dinner. I was looking at the mix that you are putting into the egg mixture and it looks like it would also make a nice salad on its own with some homemade mayonnaise.

Unknown said...

Yummy baked.. :) Thanks for the recipe. I would love it to have melted cheese and some bits of caviar.

achat caviar