Monday, June 21, 2010

Recipe: Kangaroo Balls! (aka Meatballs)

I finally found a reason to push beyond my lazy burger-slash-rissole recipe and branched out into proper meatball country for my latest dinner party fun times! I used almond flour since I prefer the taste of an almond coating on my red meat, so I figured it would be the tastiest choice when it came to having flour on the inside of the meat as well. I was deliciously correct. These were the tastiest kangaroo balls I've ever had in my mouth.


Kangaroo Balls

Ingredients:

1kg minced kangaroo meat (or ground beef, of course)
2 free-range eggs
1 red onion, finely chopped
1/2 cup chopped fresh herbs, especially basil!
1/2 cup almond flour
Optional - 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese


Method:

Combine all ingredients in a big bowl and mix thoroughly. I always use my hands so that all the lumps of meat are tenderised and combined with the other flavours. Grabbing about a tablespoonful of mixture per ball, roll into spheres and set aside.

There are two good options for cooking:

* Fiddly but tasty: heat a little tallow or lard in a frying pan, and roll a few balls around in the pan over a high heat until cooked through.

* Easy but drying: line a baking tray with foil, and place balls on top in a single layer. Bake in a hot oven for around 10 to 15 minutes, until cooked through.

You can also combine the two methods for the best results - fry the outside of the balls to seal in the moisture, then bake to cook through without burning.

Delicious on their own as finger food, since the roo meat packs an unexpected punch, or as part of a tomato soup combo or warm salad. I served mine alongside a variant of my Warm Beet Medley.

5 comments:

Paleo Grrrl said...

Great idea! I've always just had roo steaks, which are kinda boring. Minced roo opens up many tasty doors lol.

Sarah Peachman said...

Wow that looks divine. I think I might have to make these this week. I might do them in a tomato sauce though. Do you think they would freeze well?

Jezwyn said...

As mains, I usually serve kangaroo meat (balls or patties, mainly) with some sort of tomato compote or sauce, but since these were appetisers, I left them plain. There was tomato sauce on the table so some people dipped the balls and enjoyed the flavour combo that way.

Honestly not sure if they would freeze well - I don't freeze meat after cooking it.

Anonymous said...

I kind of wish I could get some roo meat here in the states. Tried some when I visited Australia, and it was pretty good.

Unknown said...

I am making them tonight, grilled on skewers with hatch chiles and onion and serving with a berry sauce. Sides will be a tossed salad (lime/evo/dill weed dressing) and artichokes with omnomnom's paleo mayo.