I never thought that something thrown together based on the contents of my fridge could look and taste so amazing! I'm starting to get the hang of this whole primal cooking business... These recipes make for two generous servings - you could do this with less trout, but I had 800g in the freezer, so used it all.
800g trout, skin on
1 eggplant, in 1cm-thick slices
2T fresh basil, chopped
2T fresh dill, chopped
1t curry powder
2T lemon juice
1/2 cup coconut or olive oil
1. Preheat oven to 180°C.
2. Mix basil, dill, curry powder, lemon juice and oil, and pour into base of baking dish.
3. Cover sauce with slices of eggplant.
4. Cover eggplant with trout fillets, skin facing up.
5. Place in oven for approximately 20 minutes - it's ready when the skin can be easily peeled off.
6. Serve by scooping under the eggplant and flipping onto a plate, then spooning sauce over top. Or, if you don't want curry splattered everywhere (but why wouldn't you??), pick out pieces of trout, then pieces of eggplant, and arrange on plate. Either way, garnish with salt & pepper, and lemon zest.
(The white stuff on the eggplant is healthful fat that ran from the trout and made a pool of deliciousness on the eggplant. That's the serving I ate, mmmm!)
Warm Beet Medley Salad
2 beets (beetroot)
2 cups beet greens, chopped
2 cups red cabbage, shredded
2 carrots, grated
75g raspberries (mine were frozen)
1. Cook beetroot by steaming for 45 minutes until tender (when you can stick a fork in easily). Place under cold running water to remove skins easily. Dice or quarter.
2. Place greens and cabbage in a saucepan and heat gently until greens wilt slightly.
3. Using a microwave-safe container, heat raspberries until they lose their shape and become mushy (1 to 2 minutes). This works very well with frozen berries.
4. Toss beetroot, greens, cabbage and carrot together in a large bowl, then serve into individual bowls or onto plates. Top with raspberry sauce.
So delicious, rather gourmet, and completely primal!
Another happy customer, "choking down another primal meal!" ☺
“Matambre” Rolled Flank Steak
7 hours ago