Monday, December 21, 2009

Last Day of Shopping for the Year!

One final cruisy day in Melbourne before heading to the farm for family duties. I'll be taking a bunch of metro-only ingredients with me as I have offered to create many tasty treats - sweet and savoury - for a number of parties. It's the only way to ensure there's something edible in the mix!

I forgot to point out in yesterday's post, though you probably noticed it anyway, but I'm testing my tolerance of dairy again this week. I'm eating some form of cheese at least once per day, cooking everything in butter, and I might even have some protein shakes with dairy cream while I'm helping Mum start on the 6-Week Cure. So far, I haven't experienced a single digestive whatsit to speak of, but it might take a few days to kick in... I haven't had issues with dairy in the past, but I also haven't had a chance to test my tolerance with such a clean digestive slate before either.

Breakfast: fried haloumi! Truly, I would eat this for every meal if I could...


After this small meal, I proceeded to fast until dinnertime, while out shopping for clothes and a final couple of Christmas present. I have spent an eye-popping amount of dosh this past month and a bit, mostly on myself, so I am committing to avoid all unnecessary spending until 2010. In between now that then, I will have to buy a train ticket home, and some ingredients at a rural supermarket. Hopefully, that will be all!

Dinner - entree: Italian pork sausage (no additives) and egg scramble, served on lettuce leaves and topped with double brie! Mmmmmm...


Dinner - main: Salmon fillets, dipped in egg and coated in chopped macadamia nuts. The fillets were then placed in a frying pan coated in melted butter and chopped coriander. I hadn't made this for ages - it used to be my specialty, and I only recently realised that it was primal!


Sadly, a domestic disruption called me away from the pan, and the nuts had burned by the time I could get back to cooking :( Next time!

And it is now that I bid you a farewell! Internet access as my childhood home (a farm in the middle of nowhere) is sketchy at best, and while I will be diligently taking photos of the various feasts I encounter over the coming week, I may not be able to upload them for a while... I will be dealing with dial-up (remember those days?) and the cables run alongside electric fencing, and are gnawed on by rats and other critters, and can be disrupted by certain weather patterns... Fun!

So just in case, I'll jump the gun and wish everyone a safe and happy holiday period, and I hope you celebrate with good food and good company!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

where can i get some haloumi? how do you fry it? looks delicious!

Me said...

Can I have the full recipe for the salmon. It looks great!

Lizzie said...

Happy Christmas! Give my love to your family and the farm and the hometown! xx

Anonymous said...

i searched far and wide for haloumi cheese last night...is it the same as mexican frying cheese?

caroline said...

Hello again GGP, thanks for your thoughts re TOM etc (19/12). I'm trying a probiotic and a type of (for want of a better word) meditation recommended by Dr Mercola. Wondering if I'm just a bad tempered so and so at times! Anyway, I was doing LC since Sept until this past week when I started to eat what my parents, husband and sister were chowing down on, so I'm feeling the effects terribly. I thought I was going to start back on it today, but ate lunch out and had wine etc. Anyway, happy LC Christmas and New Year to you. The photos you're posting look so good lately. Thanks for reminding me how great haloumi is and for introducing me to chorizo which I'd never tried before.

Jezwyn said...

Hi all, and thank you for the Christmas wishes! I've managed to bend a wire hanger, stand in a bowl of water and whistle Rogers & Hammerstein tunes, and ta-da the dial-up is working! Sloooowlyyyy...

I can get haloumi (or halloumi) from my organic store and any supermarket. It's from Cyprus/the Middle East/Greece originally, but it might be very similar to Mexican frying cheese - I haven't come across the latter so I can't comment. I would search for more info, but this connection dribbles along and I'd like to get to bed at some point this evening...

The 'full recipe' for the salmon truly isn't any more complicated than the instruction I noted in the post. If you want to know quantities, one egg is plenty to coat up to 6 salmon fillets, and then 3 or 4 macadamia nuts will do per fillet. Coriander is to taste - I used about a tablespoon.

Hi Caroline! I had a low-cal day today, so 'got away with' indulging in a bit of wine - my first for the year! It was the low-carb Yellowglen sparkling, Jewel, which I used to guzzle pre-Primal. Yum! I also had a few cherries. It'll be interesting to see if there are ramifications tomorrow - maybe a sore tummy from the fructose! I'll be making all sorts of primal treats tomorrow and Friday to take to the family parties, so I won't be tempted to follow the crowd into wheaty/sugary garbage consumption. :)

I probably won't be online again for a while, so:

MERRY CHRISTMAS!