Sunday, August 30, 2009

Carnivore II : Day 4 - Bacon, Eggs & Spatchcock!

Another sleep-in today, trying to rid myself of this pesky cold. Awoke to a lovely surprise - a pleasing result on the scale! And I have noticed my stomach flattening again, and some jiggliness returning in my trouble spots. There may well be a chance of some more fat loss before Thailand...

Breakfast/Lunch: Bacon & eggs!


Despite my chest pain and sinus issues at the moment, I decided to drag the boy outside to try a workout theory of mine - sprinting up our long, steep driveway and then walking back down to the bottom, only to repeat the exercise. We went out, I in my Vibram FiveFingers, and completed a warm-up lap (jogged uphill, walked back down), and then tried one sprint. The weather was much crisper outside than it had looked from indoors, so we left it at one sprinted lap, as my chest was hurting from the cold. But I certainly felt better having completed some physical activity, after almost two days of rest. I may do some body weight exercises once my dinner has digested further...

Dinner: Spatchcock - my first time preparing such a meal. Having to cut out the spine and remove the organs was quite an experience (note: sharpen kitchen scissors), but the result was certainly worth it!


Basted with coconut oil and a little harissa, grilled in my faux-George Foreman grill. Delicious!

I have spent much of my convalescence catching up on my reading, and spent a bit of time reading through PaNu by Kurt G. Harris MD. I don't agree with everything he shares regarding the Primal/Paleo lifestyles, but his observations and studies regarding human biology and nutrition needs are thorough and accessibly presented. I also spent time trawling through Fitness Black Book, after being attracted by the new report, The Vacation Body Blueprint. I have not read it yet, but if it is like the majority of his blog posts, it should be intriguing, open-minded, and well-researched at the same time. Plus, since I'm about to go off on vacation, it's quite timely - not that I'm expecting the report to teach my anything I don't already know. But hey, the more information and motivation, the better!

2 comments:

Deanna said...

I love Fitness Black Book. That's how I discovered primal eating to begin with. Funny how once, I read an article about how good jump rope was, so I looked up a jump rope workout, happened across Rusty's site, saw a post about eating like a caveman, read the post, bought Loren Cordain's book, and haven't looked back since! The other day, I made my first whole chicken ever. It. Was. Delicious. It was everything hubby and I could do to leave leftovers for the next day!

Jezwyn said...

I love the way we usually come to our 'right' conclusions through tangents! I found low-carb when flipping through a magazine while waiting for my lunch to be prepared at Bento Bento (guess what they sell?), and stumbling upon an article called "How To Lose Weight". I had heard of low-carb before, but this article simply detailed what foods to eat and what not to eat, and why. I thought about it for a while, doing some more research online, before deciding it was 'safe' (still thinking of it as a bant, not a healthy lifestyle) and giving it a shot in January 2009. I began studying nutrition and dietetics at the same time, looking beyond the science of low-carb into truly healthy eating. I subscribed to Mark's blog along with MANY others, until eventually the content of all the blogs convinced me how important it was to eat healthy permanently, and to never return to grain and refined sugar consumption. Never!